It feels like we say this every year, and it's probably a good thing, but for the MRC Running Club and the company as whole it was another incredible year in 2018!
Forty-eight (48) new members joined the club in 2018, which brings our total to 340 members...since we started keeping track. We once again excelled on the USATF-CT Road Racing Grand Prix Circuit, raised thousands of dollars for local charities, and have we mentioned that our Men's Open team won the Boston Marathon team competition? Our club members also established six new club records during the year.
Here are some of the many highlights from the year:
- MRC sweeps Men's and Women's competitions at the Bolton Road Race
- Women's Racing team wins the overall USATF-CT Road Racing Grand Prix in Open and Masters.
- Women's Open team wins Bolton Road Race, Spring Street Mile, Redding Rock n Roots and SoundRunner Sea Legs Shuffle
- Women's masters team won every USATF-CT Road Racing Grand Prix race in which they competed (all but Redding Rock 'n Roots).
- Women's Grandmasters team wins PLR 5k, Bolton Road Race and Delaney Dash
- MRC Men's Open team wins Boston Marathon
- Men's Open team wins Bolton Road Race, Delaney Dash, and SoundRunner Sea Legs Shuffle
- Men's Masters team wins overall USATF-CT Road Racing Grand Prix, winning all races except PLR 5k and Eversource Hartford Half Marathon (2nd at both)
- Men's Grandmasters team wins the USATF-CT Road Racing Grand Prix with wins at the Bolton Road Race, Spring Street Mile, Sea Legs Shuffle and New Haven Road Race
- The MRC hosted Spring Street Mile saw a new women's record in the event along with the fourth consecutive year of a sub-4 mile.
- The MRC Track & Field Series more than doubled its attendance with 605 unique individuals competing in 2018
- MRC managed events raised over $57,000 for local charities including the MMNT Foundation, United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Hartford and the Foundation 4 Life.