Manchester Running Company Presents
The Spring Street Mile Virtual Race!
Virtually, Connecticut's Fastest Mile. Prize money still up for grabs
New for 2020 the Spring Street Mile goes Virtual. Here's the details:
- First, for those who registered before April 17th, you'll get an email by April 25th outlining options for refunds, deferrals, etc.
- You will register online for the cost of $10 + the $2.50 processing fee. If you prefer you can Venmo @Patrick-Byrne-42 with a note saying Spring Street Mile registration, but also still email us so we know who you are.
- Half of that money will support the MRC Track & Field Series, a non-profit which provides free track & field competition for youth, the other half will go into a pool for cash prizes to the top three runners overall, and the top runner in each age division (male and female) in 10-year increments.
- More clarification on that - the money stays within your division. So if you are 65 years old and you register, your $5 goes into the pot for the 60-69 year olds. If say 10 people register in that division (a total of $50), the winner gets $25, 2nd place gets $15, and third place gets $10.
- You CAN double-dip! So if you're 50 and the fastest person in the entire field, you'll win both the age division cash and the Open (which is ages 0-29).
- MRC is sweetening the pot by adding $50 to the overall winner, $30 to second, and $20 to third in both genders.
- Age divisions are:
- Open (Ages 0-29)
- You go and run one-mile, any time between June 1 and June 30, any course, anywhere - so long as it is one mile and that one mile is recorded on your gps watch and uploaded to Strava or just on your Garmin app, or app of your preference. We encourage this to be a road course, and to keep everyone honest we'd like to see you run it on a certified course somewhere; however, that's not a requirement.
- You can run and record your mile as many times as you want, but only your top performance between June 1 and June 30th will count.
- Send us a screenshot or data in some other form that has your time, the distance, and the location. If you're among the super fast and going for the overall title, not a bad idea to get a witness or two; please send to email@example.com
- We encourage you to find the fastest course you can, but you must be careful, roads aren't going to be closed just because you're out running.
- We will tally up the results on a daily or weekly basis and keep them posted on the website and our social media for you to follow along.
- Total prize money is TBD by the final number of runners - encourage your friends and the bigger the pot will be. We will leave registration open until June 29th.
- We will keep an update of the total prize money and prizes for each division as we move along as well.
- Remember this is the honor system, no cheating! Any suspicions of cheating and you'll be disqualified without a refund.
- No one with a current doping violation will be eligible for prize money. You can still race, but we won't give you any glory.
Below this line is historical information we did not want to lose (or try to remember for when the race is live in 2021). You can ignore most of it.
Saturday, June 13, 2020 • Manchester, Conn. • Downhill Mile • Certified Course
This is a POINT-TO-POINT race; which means the start and finish are 1 mile away from each other, please plan accordingly.
Manchester Running Company is pleased to bring you the return of the Spring Street Mile! Please join us on June 13th for a 9:00 a.m. start. The mile will be followed immediately by the Life Without Limits 5k.
Start: Spring St. Manchester, Conn.- near the intersection with Tam Rd. (click here for map and directions)
Finish: Adjacent to Mt. Nebo/Globe Hollow Parking Lot on Spring St. Manchester, Conn.
7:00 a.m. - Registration opens at Globe Hollow
8:40 a.m. - Registration closes - you should make your way to the start at or well before this time. The starting line is one mile away from registration, please plan accordingly.
9:00 a.m. - Women's Start
9:20 a.m. - Men's Start
9:45 a.m. - Mile Awards
10:00 a.m. - Life Without Limits 5k
10:45 a.m. - Life Without Limits Awards
We ask that you be humble and honest about your speed and abilities. If you can run under 4:20 for men and 5:10 for women you are welcome to start on the starting line, if you cannot, we ask that you take a step back and allow the faster runners to start on the line. We reserve the right to remove you from the starting line and disqualify you without refund if you do not comply. This is for everyone's safety. The winning times for men are usually under 4 minutes and the women's winner is typically around 4:30.
$15.00: December 1- March 31st
$20.00: April 1 - May 31
$25.00: June 1 - Race Day
Online: Click here to register online!
Day of Registration and Packet Pickup will take place at Globe Hollow lot.
Race day registration closes at 8:40 a.m! Race numbers will be picked up on race day.
Elite Runners: If you feel you have the credentials to be considered an elite runner (i.e. have run sub 4:07 for men or sub 4:40 for women) please contact Patrick Byrne at firstname.lastname@example.org with links to recent top performances by May 28th. We have room for three complimentary entries per race. You will be notified if you have been selected for a comp entry on May 31st.
SWAG: All pre-registered runners will receive a nice reusable grocery bag and some MRC Socks.
Prizes/Awards: Prize money is available for the top three runners in each gender of the Spring Street Mile. In order to be eligible you must not be serving any doping ban from any organizing athletics body.
Prize money winners are based on the top three runners across the finish line regardless of chip time. Individual prize money is graded based on performance - we are not interested in watching a tactical affair - we want to see a fast time. The top three male and female runners overall will receive prize money as follows:
Master's: $50 for first
An additional $25 will be awarded to the first male and female through 1/2 mile and 3/4 mile mark. So someone who led the race from the half mile through the finish would win $300.
Prize money will be reduced by 1/3rd for times slower than 4:20 for males and 5:05 for females. (Not applicable for Master's prize money).
Timing: Timing is brought to you by Last Mile Racing Co. and will be timed using the B-Tag timing system. You must wear your bib on the front of your body to ensure the most accurate time.
Parking: Due to the fact that the race is a point-to-point event, we ask that participants plan ahead, if you are not going to want to walk the one mile back to start of the race, we suggest parking at the finish in the Mt. Nebo or Globe Hollow parking lot. On the other hand those who wish to park closer to the start of the race have the option of parking on Glen St. Glen St. is a very small road which bears to the right just before crossing the bridge on Spring St. near Case Mountain. There may be some parking available on side streets throughout the course but do not park illegally as you will be towed at your own expense. Please do not park on Spring Street.
Restrooms: Restrooms will be available at Globe Hollow.
Proceeds: Proceeds of the Spring Street Mile will benefit the MRC Track & Field Series, a non-profit providing free track & field meets to youth in the summer.
Personal Property: Manchester Running Company is not responsible for lost or stolen items, please do not leave items at the start of the race, we will not guarantee they will be there at the end and will not hold on to items for participants. Any items found will be brought to the awards ceremony to be claimed.
Volunteers: Interested in volunteering at the Spring Street Mile!? Shoot us an email at email@example.com Volunteers will earn a free Manchester Running Company shirt along with other delightful treats.
Sponsorship Opportunities: If you would like to sponsor the Spring Street Mile please contact Patrick Byrne at firstname.lastname@example.org