Thursday Nights Under the Lights Track & Field series, presented by TicketNetwork continues tonight – Thursday, July 18th at 6:00 p.m. at the Manchester High School track & field facility.
Today is expected to be one of the hottest days of the year with very high humidity so we have some tips and advice to make sure you stay cool. In addition to these tips we will have water stations at the start/finish line of the track, at the throwing events, and at the long jump/triple jump pits.
Tips to stay cool:
– This is not the Olympics, it will be around 92 degrees at 6:00 p.m. and probably close to 100 degrees on the track, while we encourage you to try hard, try to just have fun – you don’t need to set a personal record tonight – if you’re feeling good, great but please if you don’t feel your best just back off a little.
– You do not need to warm up for very long (if you do warm up). It is warm out, get in your normal stretching but we highly recommend reducing your normal warm-up time by about 50%. We don’t want you pulling anything so please make sure you stretch but you won’t have a problem getting warm. Also, if you do warm up – don’t do so on the track…
– Don’t hang out on the track, it is a very hot surface and there’s no point in sitting or standing on it if you’re not competing. Find some shade and grass – it will be much cooler.
– Drink enough water and Gatorade/Powerade. You don’t need to drink gallons of it but make sure you have enough fluids in you.
– Run a short distance, or try a field event tonight. Again, you’re not trying to qualify for the Olympics – tonight might be a good time to just get in a sprint or try the high jump! We’ll still have all the distance events but we will be enforcing the rule that we can pull you off the track if you don’t look good (without refund). This is not the night to “give the 2-mile a shot”.
Bottom line is be safe and we’ll see you tonight! Here is the order of events:
2-Mile (6:00 p.m.)
6:00 p.m. – Youth High Jump, Adult Long/Triple Jumps
6:45 p.m. – Youth Long/Triple Jumps, Adult High Jump
Discus (6:15 p.m.)