With the Third Annual Finally Spring 5k! to benefit Public Allies just eight weeks away (March 19, 2011) we thought we should try to give you a little more motivation to sign up today! Believe us this is not an exhaustive list of reasons to run this great race so feel free to add more with your comments below! Register Online Here!
10. It’s the first weekend in spring! Okay so technically this year’s event is just before the start of spring but it will certainly be much warmer than it is today on Jan. 22nd. The snow will be off the ground, the sun will be shining and we’ll have a great crowd! Disclaimer: we can’t exactly promise sunshine but the last two years it has been north of 50 degrees and the sun has been out.
9. Keep that New Year’s Resolution! We know a lot of you out there made a new year’s resolution to run your first 5k in 2011. Not only will you be able to say you completed your resolution by March, but this race will motivate you to do another one in 2011 (or maybe even more than one). If you pace yourself you’ll have a great time at this race!
8. New Running Socks! Believe us when we say our running socks are VERY popular. The looks on participants’ faces when they realize how great these socks are is fabulous – these aren’t cheap run-of-the-mill socks (they retail at about $9.95 so you’re getting a great product). You don’t want to miss out because you will be jealous – ONLY THE FIRST 100 REGISTRANTS RECEIVE SOCKS! This year they are black with green lettering, very stylish.
7. The most inexpensive option around. Through Feb. 15th, we only charge you $15.00 to register for the race and only $8.00 for youth. This is literally half the cost of some 5k’s around – who wants to pay that much for a 5k?!? Even if you don’t register before Feb. 15th it’s still just $20.00 on race day. Between food, prizes, water and experience, we promise you’ll get your money’s worth.
6. Youth Race. So maybe you don’t have kids, but you can’t deny it’s cute to watch the younger kids run. We are constantly promoting youth running and introducing local youth to the sport of running and track & field. The 2011 race will feature our first youth one-mile fun run. Every participant will get a FREE custom made poster by Brooks! As an additional incentive, for each participant from a Manchester elementary school, MRC will donate 1/3rd of the proceeds back to their school!
5. Great Course! The Finally Spring 5k! course takes place in one of Manchester’s best kept running/recreation secrets. Howard/Porter Reservoir offers beautiful scenery, great running trails, along with a flat loop around the reservoir that is great for training and racing.
4. Volunteers and Logistics. Our volunteers are some of the best we know! Helpful, informative, and friendly, the volunteers come from Public Allies so you know they are there to help and benefit the cause. We have volunteers out on the course for directions and even more volunteers helping with any injuries, incidents, or problems you have before, during, or after the event.
3. Food and Other Goodies! Great Harvest provides us with a delicious breakfast spread for all our participants, Aquafina will be there to hydrate you after, NatureCrops has provided each participant with a granola bar, and we are still working to get even more SWAG for each participant!
2. Get Your Exercise and Competition Fix. There is no denying exercise will make you feel great for the rest of the day! It gives you a sense of accomplishment and you can tell your friends all about it. For the more competitive side, we have some high quality competition and we are offering prize money in 2011.
1. ALL PROCEEDS BENEFIT CHARITY! Public Allies of Connecticut has been our primary beneficiary for the last two years and will once again receive all proceeds from this event. In 2010 we added a shoe drive to benefit Soles4Souls and were able to give away 70 pairs of shoes to charity. Come out and join us on March 19, 2011 for a great cause!!